To obtain a minor's Provisional Permit you must:
- Be at least 15 1/2, but under 18 years of age. (On January 1, 2004, DMV raised the minimum age to get a learner permit to 15 1/2)
- Obtain your parents' or guardians' signatures on the application form.
- Present an acceptable birth date/legal presence document.
- Your first driver training lesson cannot begin until after you obtain your learner's permit.
- If you are at least 17 1/2' you may obtain a permit without driver education or driver training. However, you must bring in the forms to show you have completed driver training (DL 387, DL 388, DL 388A, OL 237, or OL 238)* or wait until you are 18 to get a license<./li>
- Provide your social security number.
- Pay the required $31 application fee. This fee is good for 12 months and allows you to take the appropriate law test(s) three times, if needed, within the 12-month period. This fee pays for both the instruction permit and drivers license, if you qualify for both within that time period. The fee must be paid when you apply for any new or change of class permit of license. it will not be returned. if the application expirse, you must start again. This means resubmitting documents, paying the application fee, and taking the required tests.
- Have your picture taken.
- Pass an eye exam.
- Give a thumb print.
- Pass a traffic laws and road signs test. (if you fail the test, you must wait one week before taking it again. This will give you the time to study).